Getting to Ludlow College
This information assumes no changes will be needed due to Covid-19.
We understand that transport and length of college day can be key factors in choosing where to study when you live in a rural area. Ludlow College is easily reached by regular bus and rail services from many rural locations. These links can offer a safer travel option than driving, especially in bad weather.
Applying for Travel Passes
- Local Authorities usually offer assisted travel schemes for students aged 16+. In some cases, however, parents are better off contacting their local travel company than applying for a pass through these Council schemes. Contact Ludlow College Student Services if you are unsure about your local transport options. Otherwise, see below for contact details of nearby Local Authorities.
- If you decide to apply to your Local Authority (the one to whom you pay Council Tax) for a post 16 transport pass, do so in July! Your Local Authority will decide whether you are eligible for post-16 transport assistance and will inform you accordingly. Criteria include catchment area and your course choices. If students are eligible for assisted transport, they will be told what to do and will usually have to pay a contribution towards the cost. Some councils offer discounts for households on benefits but, after Year 11, transport for education is not usually free. **
Important! Do not wait until mid or late August, let alone September, to apply! Pass costs are fixed and you will not be refunded for any daily fares you pay while waiting for your travel pass to arrive. Passes are usually sent to the college, not to your home address, and this may take several weeks. If you are told, or if you suspect, that a student may not be eligible for transport assistance to Ludlow, please contact Student Services to discuss your options.
** Financial support for travel is available to students from households where the total income is under £26,000 a year (for a College bursary) or £16,190 a year (Shropshire Council travel discount). Please ask Student Services for a bursary application pack, or see our ‘Financial Support’ information sheet, or visit: https://www.ludlow-college.ac.uk/student-services/4ebbb3e9ea4e2/Financial-Support
- Park & Ride: If driving is your only option, please note there are no student parking spaces on site so Ludlow's Park & Ride service may be of use: https://www.ludlow.org.uk/parking.html
Bus Routes Around Ludlow & Suggested First Point of Contact
[If you expect to apply for a bursary, please contact Student Services first of all]
|Tenbury Wells & North on A49||731||Yarranton Brothers||01584 881229|
|Kidderminster via Far Forest,
Cleobury Mortimer, Clee Hill
|292||Diamond Bus or Shropshire Council||See below|
|Shrewsbury & South on A49||435||Shropshire Council (or Minsterley Motors)||See below|
|Chirbury, Bishops Castle, Clun||Ludlow College
|Knighton via Leintwardine||740||Arriva West
|Presteigne, Shobdon, Wigmore||Ludlow College Student Services||01584 838863|
|Leominster via Orleton (for Kingsland see Presteigne bus)||490||Herefordshire Council
Run by Yeomans / Lugg Valley Travel
|Stottesden, Cleobury North, and various stops to Ludlow||143||Caradoc Coaches
Or Shropshire Council
|Shipton & B4368 / B4365||155||Shropshire Council||See below|
|Knowbury||724||Shropshire Council||See below|
|Soudley||711||Shropshire Council||See below|
Note that Ludlow College Student Services is closed from mid-July to mid-August.
Important! Please double-check operating dates with your bus company as those working under local authority contracts may not run on Ludlow CofE School PD days.
Local Authority and Other Contact Details for 2022-23 Applications
If you expect to apply for a bursary (financial support), please contact Student Services at Ludlow College first of all.
Then click on links for ‘Apply for travel assistance now’ (check you are applying for 2021-22). If you search online instead, try typing ‘Shropshire post 16 transport apply now’. Otherwise, telephone 0345 678 9008 but there may be a long wait.
Applying online is quickest: https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/public-transport-1/school-college-transport/2 Then follow links to apply online.
Tel: 01432 260 928 (or 924)
Important! Train pass applications not paid for by 3 September 2021 may be rejected, or may result in parents paying full cost charges with no student discount.
Tel: 0845 607 6060 or 01597 826455
Call to explain that you are applying to Ludlow College and ask what financial assistance Powys can provide. You may be asked which courses your son or daughter is applying for.
Alternatively, visit their website https://en.powys.gov.uk/article/3879/Apply-for-school-transport
Students living in or near Presteigne, Knighton, Churchstoke and Montgomery are also advised to contact Ludlow College Student Services for information on college or public buses from the area, especially if applying for a college bursary as well.
Malvern Hills & Worcestershire Council
College catchment areas mean it is rarely worth contacting Worcester Council for transport assistance if studying at Ludlow College, however if there is good reason then try their website http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/info/20604/school_and_college_travel_assistance
More likely, students will need to apply direct to operators direct for an annual or termly pass e.g. Yarranton Brothers: 01584 881229 or Diamond/Rotala plc (see below).
Diamond Bus/Rotala plc
You can download the Diamond Bus App or apply online at https://www.diamondbuses.com/about-us/ticket-gifting-guide/
Popular passes for Ludlow are:
- Child Network Year: https://www.diamondbuses.com/tickets/mobile-tickets/diamond-network/
- Student Termlink Network: https://www.diamondbuses.com/tickets/termlink-passes/termlink-passes/
- Child Network Monthly (available as an electronic 'M-ticket'), or Child Network Weekly available electronically or from the bus driver.
Information on the 292 bus can be found at: https://www.diamondbuses.com/worcester-warwickshire/bus-services/292/
Arriva West Midland buses
Visit this link https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/student-travel then select 'Midlands' area to see maps & prices on Academic year & Termly passes. To order, click on ‘buy tickets online as an M-ticket'. Direct debit tickets are also available on a rolling monthly contract which can be cancelled at any time.
Arriva's dedicated email address for student advice on ticket options or any query on student travel is: firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively contact Arriva Customer services (Mon to Fri) on 0344 800 4411 or click ‘Chat’ on the website to ask about West Midlands Student Saver tickets on the 740 route, Knighton to Ludlow.
16–17 RAILCARD – First released in September 2019
Students buy their own railpass and then receive 50% discount on rail tickets. Bursary students should contact Ludlow College first.
Important: This is different to a 16–25 railcard which does not offer discounts at peak times.
If in doubt, please contact:
Mrs Jaimie Wood, Student Services Officer, Ludlow College, Castle Square, Ludlow. Shropshire. SY8 1GD
T: 01584 871059 (direct line) E: email@example.com Not available mid-July to mid-August
Or Ludlow College Reception: 01584 872846